Lara makes her triumphant return, promising to bring her A game.
We give an update on the COSA appeal in favor of Adnan Syed: why the next 15 days are important. Speaking of triumphant returns, John David Booter is back with season two of Done Disappeared. It seems crimes against water fowl are more common than John David Booter realized. (With John David Booter.) Plus, a fake astronaut claps back on The Habitat, the podcast from Gimlet we reviewed last week.
Next, we take a close look at the New York Times podcast Caliphate. Journalist Rukmimi Callimachi pulls back the curtain on how the terror group draws people to the cause, and life as a war correspondent, all in an attempt to answer the question, “Who are we fighting?”
FOR A SPOILER-FREE REVIEW OF CALIPHATE, GO TO 48:28:40
In Crime of the Week: if it bleeds, it leads.
SPONSORS THIS EPISODE
- Patio Shield - use code CRIME to save 20% on Patio Shield at Thermacell.com
- In the Dark - listen now on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or wherever you listen
- Audible - start a 30-day trial and your first audiobook is free at audible.com/crime or text CRIME to 500-500
- 1-800-Flowers - order 24 multicolored roses for $24 at 1800Flowers.com, click the radio icon, and enter code CRIME
- Tommy John - go to TommyJohn.com/crime for 20% off your first order
- FabFitFun - go to fabfitfun.com and use promo code CRIME to get $10 off your first box